Thursday, 30 October 2014

Research: Potential Target Audience - Primary research


10 Questions I am going to ask my target audience:

  1.  Would this magazine appeal to you? Why?
  2. What is your favourite element on the page? Why?
  3. What genre do you think this magazine is? Why?
  4. Do you think the main image is appropriate for the genre? Why?
  5. Do the colours link to the genre? Why?
  6. What font do you think links best to the genre? Curved or edgy?
  7. What sell lines would draw you in to read the magazine? Why?
  8. How could the magazine be targeted at the youth more?
  9. What things would you want to read in a magazine?
  10. What tone does the magazine create? Fun and happy or sad and dull?



       


My responses:






About my responses:

Overall, most people I spoke to would read this magazine however some wouldn't as it wasn't their type of music. This could be anticipated as not everyone likes the same thing.
There was mixed responses when I asked my target audience what thier favourite element on the page was. Some responses were: the images, the layout, the mast head and the font however every person had a different explanation into why they liked it. For example 4 people liked the image however some liked it because: it was of someone familliar to them, they looked happy and it caught her eye. I didn't anticipate this as I expected almost all to have liked the image as it is the first thing you see.
I was surprized to find out that most people guessed the genre of the magazine by the "Top of the Pops" mast head. This surprized me as I would have expected the image to create the genre of pop.
Everyone agreed that the image was appropriate to pop as they are current in the pop music industry. This didn't surprize me as these pop stars are so big eveyone knows them and what their music is.
I expected everyone to agree the colours linked to the genre and they did. Most people said the colours were bright, colourful, "they pop out of the page", young and bold.
There was a clear split when I asked my target audience what font is better for the magazine: curved or edged. A half of people said curved whereas as 3 people said edged and 1 said both. I expected most people say curved as I think of it as fun and playful whereas edged is hard and clean.
My target audience had different ideas on how to make the magazine more youthful. They wanted more tips on hair and make-up. Plus,add the music charts, study tips and add more images of famous people. I didn't know what to expect when I asked this question as eveyone has different ideas however everything said is valid and I would agree with it.
Finally, all my responses agreed that the pop magazines I showed them created a fun and happy mood on the page. I anticipated that as too my response would also have been that as it doesn't seem like any other mood.

What have I learnt from my research:

Overall, I have learnt my magazine needs to be interesting for people who are intrested in this genre so it can appeal to them. I need to particullarly make my image, layout, font and mast head look interesting to look at as I have learnt these are what draws the eye of the reader. To represent the genre I can add "pop" into my mast head to make it clear to the reader what the magazine is about instantly. The image has to be someone famous in the music industry however I can't do this in my magazine so I will need someone who looks and acts like a pop star on the front page so the viewer can link them to music. The colours also need to be girly and bright so they're linked to the genre in the reader's mind. The reaearch has showed me that both fonts should be used on the page. I need to create a happy and fun tone in my magazine as that's what the reader experienced when they saw the page. Most people wanted gossip in their sell lines because this would attract them to read the magazine. 

How will this research affect my ideas:

Overall, I need to use "pop" in my mast head because this is the quickest way to tell readers what the magazine is about plus in my research most people told me that is the only way they would have known it was a pop magazine. I should stick with the colour schemes used in other pop magazines as everyone linked them to the genre. I particullarly need to use pink as this appealled to alot of girls I spoke to. I need to use both curved and edged fonts on the pages as both give different feelings to the story. Lastly, gossip and stories of celebrities lives were most popular in a sell line so my magazine should use alot of these. Possibly my double page spread should be a story on a celebrity's life and their music.

No comments:

Post a Comment